As a parent, I can't tell you how many times I have walked in on a disaster. Just a few days ago, my kids were playing together and they decided to flood our master bathroom with a few towels and a boatload of water. Although some messes are cute or funny, others are completely overwhelming and difficult to clean up. Fortunately, I have an excellent damage contractor on speed dial, and he comes out to help me whenever I need a little assistance. I want you to know how to tackle tough messes, which is why I put up this website.
No matter the cause of water damage, from roofing leaks to flooding, excessive moisture in your home will always carry the risk of mold and mildew growth. Mold growth is a serious concern because beyond causing physical damage to surfaces within your home, it also represents a health concern and can cause or aggravate respiratory conditions. Understanding some of the steps that you can take to prevent mold from taking root can help you avoid such problems from manifesting.
Dry and Ventilate
The first thing that you need to do is to remove any remaining water from the water damaged area. This may require you to clear out a floor drain, restart a sump pump, use a shop vacuum to literally suck up the water, or any other method that may prove to be effective. Most hardware stores will rent out shop vacuums and submersible pumps that can be used to remove small amounts of standing water. Beyond removing the water itself, you should also make use of fans and dehumidifiers with the windows open to ventilate the area and remove ambient moisture from the air.
Remove Soft Fabrics and Organic Materials
You should also make an effort to remove any soft fabrics and items which have been damaged. Rugs, carpeting, and other items will have to be hung out to dry – keep an eye on them to determine if mold spots begin to show and throw them out as they appear. Lightly damaged items that have not been completely soaked through should be washed in hot water mixed with vinegar or a small amount of bleach (depending on the color of the item), whereas completely soaked items are better thrown out. Organic materials, especially things like paper in books or newspapers, will also have to be thrown away since they are highly absorbent and are usually unsalvageable after they have been soaked through.
Finally, you should make sure to disinfect the area that was waterlogged. Most disinfectants will prove to be effective at killing mold spores, but for particularly bad areas you may want to use a bleach-based cleaner (check the ingredients of your spray bottle), which will be much stronger. Wipe down floorboards, baseboards, and any other hard surface that may have been exposed to water, even if it is a material that is unlikely to grow mold – like concrete – to ensure that there are no live mold spores within the area.
For more information, contact a water damage restoration service near you.